Thursday, April 19, 2012

Full Timing - Medical & Relatives

When we started full timing in June 2000 we were in pretty good physical condition.  We just had annual check ups and I continued a few meds.  We are lucky in that we have full coverage at minimal cost.  Although I’m retired military we are still in a group medical plan and have to pay.  Carol or even I can not go on a military base for medical reasons.  Those type of benefits went away many many years ago. If it’s an emergency we go to a nearby emergency room (duh) and it’s paid for.  If we need a regular Dr appointment out of Texas we have to get permission, etc.

If you are thinking about full timing then medical is one area you need to check real good.  There is no perfect plan out there that fits all.  There are just too many variables.

Full timing and relatives. This is a subject that comes up a lot. More the relatives the more obligations you can get yourself into. Some full timers only go to those “real” special occasions and others try to make everything. Then it becomes a little hectic at times trying to go to every birthday and graduation. The only thing we have etched in stone on or schedule is to attend our daughter’s graduation this September in California. If she changes her mind for what ever the reason and doesn’t go to her formal graduation, we  are OK with that. It’s all up to her. We always have a Plan B & even a C. For her it will be a logistical & money thing if she can’t attend it. She completes in May and moves to the east coast. Then would have to return to CA in September. As time gets closer she will know and then we can adjust accordingly. We will support her in her decision.  We are proud of her.

Carol is on the down hill side of having bronchitis the last 10 days or so.  It was pretty rough for her.  I now have a sore throat so she might have given it to me.

Back in Nov/Dec & early Jan I had blood tests that weren’t so hot.  The Doc’s agreed to wait 90 days to see if the tests changed after I stopped taking some meds.  We came back in April and did the tests again.  The results were not so hot.  Result was surgery where my gall bladder was removed.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  Earlier this week I had additional blood tests.  So today was a double Dr day to see what’s up now. The results were…………I’m no longer pregnant.  I lost 20 lbs. mostly in my belly.  I can now look down and see my toes and “other things”.  Not a bad view.  It’s been awhile.

The bottom line is ………..I’m almost normal.  They said everything was looking a lot better and we could go out and play some more.  They will take a close look at my next tests in Nov but for now – exercise & weight loss of an additional 15 lbs. on top of the 20 that I have lost is what I agreed with them.

Two weeks and we are out of here.  Why wait?  We have stuff we want to do and not be rushed.  The solar panels got to come off the roof and stored in the belly of the Beast.  That will take some special packing. Plus we are waiting for paperwork on the new truck.  Then we can get it tagged for Texas.  We might even take some stuff out of the Beast and leave here.

I also want to do some cooking.  Let’s see…probably a smoked hickory ham and a smoked mesquite pork butt at least.  Then freeze it and we will have some flavored meals down the road.


So it is time to say

See ya…………………