Friday, April 3, 2015

Up The Hill/Somebody Down the Hill

We had a 58 mile move this morning.  On the way we stopped at the Morongo Casino and got diesel for $2.84.  The trip was OK until the THE hill.  Eight miles was up a very twisted road (rt 243) to the top.  The Winnebago had to shift down to 2nd gear about half the way.  It went from an elevation of about 500 ft to over 4,000 ft.  The engine stayed in its normal heat range and  speed was usually about 20-25 MPH.

Silent Valley RV Park is an AOR/RPI membership park.  We came in under AOR and paid $9 a night and will be staying a week.  We could have stayed 3 weeks under AOR off season schedule.  We got a 50 AMP FHU site.  Yes, we are lucky and didn’t have to pay extra for it.DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003

We’ve stayed here several times in the past and will in the future.  The park opens their bar, restaurant, all pools, little grocery store, etc.  come May 1st.  The temps now will be in the 70’s to mid 60’s and nights in the 40’s.  It’s just right for us.

For lunch we took  the Jeep down to Beaumont and met Denny & Susie Orr.  They’re on the way to see relatives in L.A. via car.   DSCN0807 DSCN0806

They sounded great.  We probably won’t see them again until next year.  Denny has an extra biopsy to do next week & of course we wish him well.

The restaurant we ate at, Farm’s House, wasn’t that great and we won’t go back.  It’s next to Denny’s off I-10 Exit 96.

The rest of the day we got all situated, opened all the windows, put up all the window shades and aired out the RV.  Our neighbors on either side of us have cats so we’re in the cat house neighborhood.

The park wants us to put boards/blocks under our jacks.  So, tomorrow I will go to Home Depot (15 miles) and get a board and have them cut it.

At 1 A.M. this morning, Saturday, we were awoke by sirens, police cars, rescue vehicles and a helicopter.  I was having flashbacks from my previous encounters with that kind of stuff.  I checked myself out and I was O.K.    The park is in a valley above 4,000 ft with a spur road coming down to it.  It appeared that a car ran off the spur road and down the hill of several hundred feet.  We’re about a mile away and could barely make out what was happening.  The helicopter did land on the road and sat for about 15 minutes then took off.  About an hour later all the other vehicles had left.  Maybe we can find out what happened later today.

See ya…..