Saturday, April 6, 2013

Wow…How Windy Was It?

Several different weather reports are saying 20-40 MPH winds with gusts to 60 MPH for part of our route.  Folks, wind is not good, not even in a big heavy RV like the Beast.  We are headed for Tehachapi Pass.  It’s normally windy there that’s why they have a lot of wind mills there…duh.  I think once we get over it we will be alright.  We don’t HAVE TO BE ANYWHERE so we will see what we see.

Here’s where we parked to get breakfast at IHOP in Palmdale..DSC_0003

LATER ON….and the verdict was..windy as hell. The Beast didn’t struggle too much and drove straight as a crooked arrow. DSC_0004 DSC_0007 DSC_0009

 DSC_0013 DSC_0011DSC_0028 

Up in Tehachapi the clouds got grey and down into the 40s.  We passed the Love’s fuel stop at the top of Tehachapi Pass. Fuel went up 5 cents over night to $4.08.DSC_0030 DSC_0033

Down off the hill was this place.  We always wanted to stop here so we did today. Very fresh fruit and a kid’s animal farm. DSC_0041 DSC_0038 DSC_0036

I know some people who look like this.DSC_0037   DSC_0040

 

We stooped at a Chevron auto gas station in Weed patch that was kinda big and filled up.  $3.82 for diesel cash.  Yes…in California!!!! I lifted the front end up with the jacks so I could get a few more gallons in.  I do that once in a blue moon.  The Beast got 7.1 MPG and with me jamming the fuel in.  I’m happy to get into the seven’s ever once in awhile.  I got over 600 miles on a half of tank (85 gallons).  That means I could have gone about 900 miles on 140 gallons with 10 gallons left over.  I’ve gone 800 a few times and 600-700 is about normal unless few is less expensive in an area.

Here’s an area we had lunch.  Lt’s a closed down Burger King.  It’s near the flying J above Bakersfield.  Diesel was $4.09 here.  I saved $23 bucks…yea…..DSC_0042

 

225 miles and we arrived at my cousin's David’s driveway..aren’t even disconnected.  One slide on each side is all we could open.DSC_0043

 

Here’s his grand daughter with her goat, lamb and his dog.  He has another male dog running around too.  I think my wheels are going to get a little wet.DSC_0044

 

This is called Palm Tree Heart (boiled).  This is the heart of a fallen palm tree.  There’s only one in each tree.  He found the tree next to a trash pick up.  Brought it home and cut it out of the large tree piece.  I said sure I will try it.  It tastes like artichoke.  If you like artichoke heart you will like this Palm Tree Heart.DSC_0045

We fixed the world economic problems and went to bed about midnight….whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

See ya……