Monday, June 13, 2011

Alaska Day 29 Ninilchik Eagles Galore

I woke up this morning and I thought it was Christmas morning and I was 8 years old again.  Why?  I looked out our windshield and counted 23 eagles setting on the shore line. It was Christmas! There were young ones and mature ones. Here’s a couple of shots.  They looked like polka dots at first.DSC_0007

 DSC_0002 

It was 47 degrees out this morning and 56 in the rig until I turned on the Hydro Hot system. We don’t run any heat at night.  That’s what you got covers for. I get up first so I turn everything on. The batteries were setting at 12.7 volts with the inverter off.  I turned it on along with the internet system/computer plus two fan motors – front & rear (Hydro Hot). It dropped to 12.4 which is still good for us. No sun and it’s been heavy overcast since our arrival and that’s OK – no rain.  Ran the generator about an hour from 9 to 10 PM last night. I usually start the blog in the morning and finish it up at night.  Right now I’m having a hard time writing this because my eyes keep wandering outside to all the eagles.  Oh well, I give up this morning – gotto go….

I got a very special email this morning.  Betty Bear ( SKP two digit #?). That was nice and thanks' Betty.

Carol & I decided to go look around Ninilchik. First stop the post office. At least it wasn’t one of those new modern expensive buildings in a very small community.DSC_0008

Then let’s check out Ninilchik Village.  This village was settled in the 19th century and I don’t think there’s been many improvements since then. You first cross over the bridge to grandma’s house. That is if the house is still standing.  Most were just barely. Here’s a view from above. I attached a camera to one of those eagles.DSC_0009

or maybe I climbed a mountain…..DSC_0023

This nearby moose was having a bad hair day.DSC_0020

This is a Russian Orthodox Church that sits on a hill overlooking Ninilchik Village. DSC_0026 DSC_0024

The entrance to our campground on the beach. $10 no hookups and the views are priceless when the clouds go away.DSC_0034

The Forbes, us and the Tiltons.DSC_0035

This is Larry Leonard (SKP #1423) holding his welcome SKP sign.  We all went over to their place for a special treat. DSC_0047

Larry was cooking up something special.

DSC_0039

How about salmon, halibut & tuna kabobs..DSC_0043

Nice little wash tub campfire.DSC_0045

Peggy & Larry…...  I think Peggy is looking at Larry’s hair saying, “ I wonder how he does that after all of these years.”

DSC_0046 

Then it was smore timeDSC_0050 DSC_0051 DSC_0053 DSC_0054

Peggy & Larry's place of about 20 years or so…green house in the backgroundDSC_0040

Their place is in those clump of trees.DSC_0041 DSC_0042 DSC_0044

It was time to head back to our home. But first we went for a little ride (about 8PM) and low and behold look what we found next to the road.

DSC_0059 DSC_0062

The little one had a hard time getting over the hill.DSC_0064

Then down the road another one..DSC_0069 DSC_0071

 

Thanks Peggy & Larry for being that “Special Kind Of People”

So, just another day…ho hum…….

See ya…………

No comments:

Post a Comment