Thursday, September 26, 2013

Look At My Butt

DSC_0001

I got six of these babies.  Above is five of them.  That’s about 50 lbs of pork butt total (6).  The big one comes in at almost 10 lbs.  It’s not pictured.  I rubbed some mustard on it and then did the Pappy’s Seasoning.  The mustard helps keep the seasoning on and the vinegar in it helps tenders the meat a little bit.  It’s now in the frig in the Beast.  It’s the only place I had room for it.  It will marinate for almost 24 hours.  Then I will take it out of the frig and let it set for at least an hour to warm up a little.  Then it goes in the Bradley Smoker at 210-220 degrees for about 20-22 hours.  Of that 6 hours will be smoking it.  When it’s done I take it out and roll it in tin foil, wrap it up in a towel and put it in a sealed container.  I do that for about 2-4 hours.  It really get’s juicy.   When everyone arrives Saturday I unwrapped it and serve it immediately.   I do pull it apart with two large forks – thus smoked pulled pork.  People love the bark (crust).  I usually pull it ALL apart with the bark and put the bark in it.  This time people can get their own bark.

I will smoke another one before we leave the tail end of next week.  That will do us for a few days before we get to Lazydays.  Then they feed us.

When we return to Livingston in early November I will smoke the rest before we leave for AZ area in late November for the winter.  I want to try and save some for Alaska but I don’t think it will make it.

See ya….