Saturday, July 16, 2011

Alaska Day 62 Chena River Rd – Moose…

It’s 6:30 AM and raining pretty steady.  Probably the hardest rain on this trip so far. When I parked the rig I knew I was in sand and rocks and slightly up hill.  Not good when it rains with a 17 ton RV.  Can you say tow service?  Hopefully it will stop raining and we can go look for some wildlife to shoot. DSC_0003

It’s 53 degrees outside and 63 inside.  I get up and turn on the hydro hot for heat usually. Our volts are down to 12.1. I forgot and left the datastorm (WiFi) on last night. We leave the inverter on because we got about 20 lbs of halibut in a freezer underneath. Usually I get up about 5 AM or so and we are at 12.3 or 12.4 volts.  Our closet neighbor is about 100 yards away so he can’t really hear our generator especially with the rain going on.

About 11 AM it stopped raining and here comes the moose with her calf again.  Then she left and came about 3 PM and a little bit closer.  Couldn’t get her calf because it was in the weeds near our car. Carol got this shot. I was near the car…oops again.DSC_0008

 

Then we deep fried some halibut with Tempura for dinner.  It was delicious. DSC_0009

About 7:30 PM we got two new moose and no caves.  One was in each pond at the same time.  The pictures will be mixed. You can see how close this one came to us. This is less than 75 feet here.DSC_0012

DSC_0001  DSC_0031 DSC_0035 DSC_0039

Maybe the cover of the Escapees mag?DSC_0046 DSC_0048 DSC_0049

This one is stroking it here. I wouldn’t try to out swim these guys.  I would be leaving some type of screen for sure with one of them on my butt.DSC_0050

 

Now he thinks he’s hiding.  Naw, just eating roots off the bottom. I timed them. They stayed down as long as a minute and a half.  It seemed longer when I was holding a camera on them.DSC_0053

These are some locals.  They treat moose the way we probably treat deer when we see them down in the lower 48 – no big deal.DSC_0056 DSC_0063 DSC_0071 DSC_0075

It’s now 9 PM and we might get one more show but I will go ahead and post this now.

See ya………

No comments:

Post a Comment