Monday, May 30, 2011

Alaska Day 15 Chicken To Tok Ak

I woke up at 4 AM local time (5 AM Yukon time).  I just did some research on campsites in different future destination areas. I try to have a plan B and C for everybody traveling in the “Last Frontier Gang” as added option for them.

It’s very cloudy already and rain is being called for down in Tok. Yes, the sun is up. I will still wash the RV and car in Tok rain or shine.  I need to wash the radiator and Cummins engine real good along with everything else. I did have one compartment door that opened up a little yesterday and needleless to say it’s trashed with dust/dirt.  Just about all the other compartments have a light film of dust. Larry said I could use his shop vac.

So we pulled out about 7:30 Am with 78 miles to go with the first two more dirt.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0004DSC_0003  DSC_0005 DSC_0010

Downtown Tok.  I got fuel at $4.78 and a 103 gallons with a total of 650 miles.DSC_0012

We pulled into the Tundra RV Park. Got a pull thru, 50 AMP full hook up for $32. We washed the RV and car for $15 unlimited time.DSC_0026

Here’s what the car engine looked liked. It only has 10K miles on it.DSC_0014

Everyone else came a few hours later and we were all parked together. They all washed their vehicles too.DSC_0027

Then it was 4 0”clock time. We saluted the men & women of the Armed Services – present & past – THANK YOU..We all talked about our adventures driving the Top Of The World Highway. Everyone thought it was worth it all things considered.DSC_0020

I think Carol didn’t like the road kill I picked up for her.DSC_0021

With that in mind we all went to Fast Eddy’s for diner. Everyone agreed it was worth the drive and now we can all go home…NOT! Notice the shirts..Memorial Day. It didn’t rain on our party today.DSC_0022

Carol & I had fried mushrooms the Alaska way – BIG!DSC_0024 DSC_0025

At the end of the blog I will keep doing the mileage each day and total mileage from the lower 48 U.S. border. The cost of fuel per gallon I will put in the blog when purchased. The cost of a campsite I will put in the blog.  I won’t be posting the total running cost of all that “other” stuff.  It really can only be used for us because of all of our tastes are so different. What you might buy at a grocery store or how often you go out to eat is different.  Fuel mileage for your vehicle is different and then there is the “fun” costs and that is really different.

P.S. The ferry across the Yukon River from Dawson city is free.  And yes to Otis Redding.

Mileage today – 78 miles  Total miles 2295

No comments:

Post a Comment