Friday, April 25, 2014

My Base – Hill AFB

This morning didn’t look real good out our front windshield.  We hope the rain stays away for our 280 mile trip today.DSC_0001

Up the road we go….DSC_0004

This is the start of the last red line road over the mountains via route 20 to I-15. DSC_0005

Then it was I-15.  Nice scenery all the way with the snow covered mountains in the distance.DSC_0010 DSC_0012

We got fuel in Nephi at the Flying J.  It was $3.89 with the Flying J/Good Sam credit card.  Otherwise $3.95 cash price.

DSC_0014 DSC_0015

We arrived in Salt Lake City.  This city is spread out with all sorts of traffic.

Here we are……DSC_0021

I didn’t know the Army had trains and not just one.  Plus a large maintenance yard, the whole 9 yards.  Interesting.  These trains looked very active and not retired.DSC_0023

O.K. this is for you people who like fuel mileage numbers.  Driving the red line roads and mountains in AZ & UT my last fill up we got 7.3 MPG.  I have instruments that tell me my at the moment fuel mileage, fuel mileage for the day and fuel mileage since last fill up. Yepper…….  There numbers are pretty close using the old method of figuring with pen and paper.  I got fuel after getting on I-15. My fuel mileage for the day ended up being 10.3 and fuel mileage since last fill up was 11.1 mpg. Now that's what I'm talking about. I think my fuel mileage on this Alaska trip will be around 8 mpg due to red line roads all the way.  I figure if I want to, I can go 700 miles on a tank (100 gal) without worry.  This last fill up I took on 83 gallons to get fuel a little cheaper.  You might say, “Wow why?” and “I say why not?”  The money we saved will pay for a good chunk of our Cracker Barrel breakfast.  That’s why.

We will be here for 11 nights.  Hill AFB Campground is a concrete pad, side by side full hook up 50 AMP, pull thru sites for $20 a night.  This is a secured base meaning if you don’t have a military ID card the armed guards won’t let you come on base.DSC_0026

These fly boys don’t care what the weather is like, they’re flying in it.  As you can see it’s cloudy.  Those clouds opened up about 7 PM and it rained all night.  It’s suppose to rain at least tomorrow morning and temps staying in the 50’s. 

By the time Ed & Sandy Kruty get here next Friday, the temps are suppose to be in the 70’s.  We already put are summer shorts away.

See ya…………….