Tuesday, November 13, 2012

One Little Pork Butt.

At 7 AM I pulled the pork out of the ice chest.  It’s been wrapped and in the box for 5 hours.  The temp was 140 degrees when removed.  During that five hours the juice cooked the pork more.  It was the most juiciest pork I’ve cooked so far.  The removable fat was about the same.  The bark was black but tender and could be easily pulled and put with the meat itself. No hard bark.  This added to the flavor. DSC_0001-001 

After one hour of “pulling” this is what I had.  Nice clean pork with the bark in it.  I also had the juice that I poured over it.  It is so goooooooooooooood!!!!!DSC_0004-001

Then I put it in freezer bags.  You can see the soft black bark in it.  DSC_0005-001

I got a clean 4 lbs from a 9 lb pork butt. That’s about normal, a little less than 50%. I usually figure about 40%.  I use about 1 lb of rub seasonings (Pappy’s) plus I injected some vaulted vinegar both for flavor and tenderness prior to smoking in this one. I smoked for 6 hours at 230 degrees and used Bradley’s Special Blend briskets.  Then let it continue cooking in the smoker for an additional 6 hours (230 degrees) for a total of 12 hours and it went to an internal temp of 160 degrees.  At that temp out of the smoker and spray with apple juice.  Then roll it up in a tight foil fit and in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 hours.  Not over yet…then took it out of the oven and roll it in two towels and put in a tight container like an ice chest for another 5 hours.  Remove it for the final move.  Now you pull it apart.  I take all the fatty pieces out and pour the juice over it when done.  Oh so goooooooooooooooooooood!!!!

So is your mouth watering yet?

See ya………..