Monday, June 15, 2015

Ticket – For What!

We left Sharon in Benson, AZ Sunday morning and arrived in Livingston, Tx Monday afternoon.  650 miles the first day and 500 the second day.  But… I got a friggin ticket and in our home state of Texas.  The state trooper was young and dumb.  At least I thought so since I got the ticket.  For what you might ask.  Stay tuned but first some of our pictures.

Here’s Denny & Susie leaving Sharon and Don’s place.DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0005 DSC_0010 DSC_0023 DSC_0031 DSC_0032 DSC_0039 DSC_0044 DSC_0045 DSC_0051

We stayed and some pull over in Texas off some road near some city.  That night it poured something fierce.  When we left it continued to rain most of the day.

Then it happened.  I got pulled over by Texas’s finest, a Texas ranger.  For what?  Being over length.  And he figured that out from being behind me on a small road.  I guess he had probable cause called guessing.  My actual length is 68.5 feet.  His care free measurement was 69 feet and produced a ticket for 70 feet.  I say produced a ticket because tickets are not wrote anymore.  It’s a friggin computer spit out piece of paper – no hand written stuff – all computer - little pieces of paper.  I felt like I got a receipt from Walmart.  He told me I had to get a special permit for being over length (65’ plus 1’ foot of grace).  He didn’t know how much the permit was or how long it would be good for or where to get one.  But he could and did write a ticket for it.  He didn’t even know how much the ticket was for.  Real knowledgeable cop.  I started to unhook and he said no not where we were which was along the road.  Instead he wanted me to drive down the road about 10 miles and unhook at Sams’ parking lot.  Isn’t that illegal?  I could have unhooked in the time he took too produce a ticket!  I didn’t mess with him being he had the badge which I respect and his mind was made up.  I guess he was jealous of us being retired or didn’t like Harleys.   They did have a big biker shoot out down the road a piece a couple of weeks ago. 

It’s been over 30 years since I got a ticket much less pulled over by a cop.  Bottom line – I was wrong.  We unhooked at Sam’s.  Carol drove the Jeep and I put the trailer on the back of the motorhome – no problem except Carol had to drive 325 miles.  That was worst than the actual ticket.  Plus it rained some more.

We arrived in Livingston to a much over grown weed infested lot and of course some light rain.  Now we are in the path of some big rain storm coming off the Galveston shore.  Yes, it’s muggy and 70 some degrees.  ALL vehicles are very dirty from the road grime.  That is except the Harley which is in the trailer.

Wayne & Beth Roberts, our neighbors, welcomed us back to our lot.  The electricity we leave on but the water we turn off.  It was easy to turn the water back on for the lot.

The trailer has a little furniture surface mold to get rid of.  I guess we should have left the fans on but didn’t.  Just another thing to add to our list of things to do while here.  Carol got a follow up dr appointment the end of this month so we will be here until at least then. 

Now what to do about my toys and towing!?

See ya……….