Sunday, March 13, 2016

Harley Butt

At 8 AM the pork was at 185 degrees and I decided to go ahead and take it out.  I wrapped it in foil, then a towel, then put it in a small ice chest to settle down.  Yes, I took a small chuck out and tasted it.  Whew, is that baby hot then comes the taste of the spices.   Nice flavor but hot.  Next I will see if I can get the spices to come up first and settle the hot down a little later on when I pull it.

Next was to check the Harley over.  Plenty of oil, hardly any fuel, and the front tire needed about 7 lbs of air.  No problem.  My helmet face shield still had bugs on it from last week and they came off pretty easy.  No problem.

Today is expected to be in the 80’s and sunny.  I go and meet Mark at the little local gas station and fueled up.  We did a 125 miles trotting around back roads for several hours.  It was a real nice ride.DSCN1151DSCN1152DSCN1153

I got back and ate lunch and took a nap.  Wind hitting me at 60 MPH tired me out.

It was 4 PM and time to take care of the butt that’s been resting in the ice chest since early this morning.

It was still very warm and looked real good.  I tasted the bark (outer layer) and wow was it hot and spicy.  It was really too hot.  Now what?  I ran water over the butt.  As I did that it started to fall apart.  The chunks that didn’t have any bark on them I set aside.  I then cut the bark off the rest of it but left meat on it also.  I ended up with this.DSC_0001DSC_0003DSC_0002

One bowl with no bark and it retained the mesquite smoke and spicy flavor.  The other bowel retained the now somewhat hot flavor and the spicy flavor too.  All of it is very tender and melts in your mouth.  It’s among the best I’ve ever smoked.

The two big pieces of bark are still whole and are for the adventurous.

I went to bed at 8 PM (Sunday).  Damn, I was pooped out.  I woke up at 7AM (Monday).

Tomorrow (Monday) the camper (little RV) goes to the Ford dealer.

See ya.

See ya…………