Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Bad Start–Good Ending Day & Roosevelt Nat Pk

BAD, BAD, BAD……Last night after we parked for the night at the closed weigh station I did a walk around inspection like I always do.  What I found blew my mind. I couldn’t believe it.  The Honda tow bar bracket (attached to the Honda) moved 2 inches up/down when I checked it.  It is not suppose to move at all, since it’s attached permanently behind the front end to the car frame.  It was dark and nothing could be done.  I had a hard time sleeping.  The next morning at 6 AM I decided to take the front end off the car – it’s just fiberglass and I had my $14.95 tool kit from the Pep Boys Auto store.  I got the front end off.  The bracket was suppose to have 8 blots/nuts.  It had only 7 and one of them was just setting there.  That left 6.  ALL were so loose that the entire bracket was moving up/down with a slight hand lift.  It was just about ready to pull off. I know it would not have gone 10 miles.  This type of bracket the tow safety chains are hooked to it.  Also, the emergency brake away switch is attached to it.  It other words, going down the road if the bracket gave away to the loose bolts, the entire bracket and front end would have pulled away from the car.  The car would not stop rolling.  That could have been a very bad accident to say the very least.  VERY BAD experience.  That’s an adventure that we know happened to friends of ours.  They were lucky – they just lost a car over a cliff.  I tighten the bolts and put the front end back on.  Needless to say I checked it several times and it appears to be OK for now.  Near future plans include to replace the nuts and blots and use locking nuts.  Why the installer would not use them on something like this is irresponsible in my back yard mechanic mind.  As a matter of fact, they should have been spot welded. 

 

As we get near Medora and Roosevelt Nat Pk the hills starting growing grass.  It’s friggin hot here too.DSC_0118

Then as we get off the exit for Medora, the community made sure we would see these elk.  That was a nice way to welcome us.DSC_0004

Then we went over to the Nat Pk and saw some buffalo and prairie dogs with no problem.  Evidently they all heard we had a rough morning so they all came out to great us.  DSC_0019

 

Peek a boo…DSC_0073

 

Mommy, mommy who are these important people.  Oh, they’re just tourists who had a bad morning.  Look good for them.  Stay near me. They will probably put us on their blog.DSC_0104

 

Of course there is always one in the group and he stuck his tongue out at us.  He was the grand poopa.DSC_0026

I'm telling you, don’t get out of that car.DSC_0089

 

Here they come everybody.  Give them that Kodak moment.DSC_0053

 

What did he say?DSC_0048

 

I’m leaving – just another tourist.DSC_0063

 

You think they might like me like this?DSC_0068

 

Let’s leave the tourist alone before the Ranger gets after  us again.  Yea, you’re right.  Bye Dennis & Carol.  We hope we made your day better now. Thanks for visiting us.DSC_0112

 

And then we went back to our 50 AMP with 2 ACs.  It’s friggin hot here.  Oh we got one good campfire story at the campground.  Just remind me about the guy that asked where we were located.  It started a campground thing and someone wanted someone to kiss someone’s behind and from there it got a moonie. Yes, moonie at the campground – just remind us when you see us.  Anyhow, depart tomorrow and stay somewhere in Minnesota.

See Ya………..

No comments:

Post a Comment